Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Inquisition: 073.The Black Heart Rebellion

1. How did you came up with the name of the band?

We were young, enthusiastic, playing in a band but didn't have a name yet... I don't know, back then we didn't realise the name was going to stick with us for such a long time I think. I can imagine the name does raise some questions about actually fitting with the music we play. But we have learned to accept it, although nowadays we prefer just TBHR instead of fully pronounced. 

2. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it?

Every song starts with the gathering of sounds, influences, atmospheres... We have a good idea of what the song should be like before we start jamming. Then we search for the basic rhythm, instrument or melody. And from there on we add layers, to come to the result we like the most.

3. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home?

That can change a lot! 
Right now I'm listening a lot to these records:
- Anna Von Hausswolff - The miraculous
- Cursed - Three, architects of troubled sleep
- Jerusalem in my heart - If he dies, if if if if if if
- Arca - Mutant
- Philip Catherine - Côté Jardin

4. Which is the one album you can't live without?

Low - The curtain hits the cast

5. What's the first record you've ever bought?

The first record that left an impression on me was a tape I got from Guns and Roses - Use your Illusion. The first record I bought was Nirvana's Nevermind when I was 6 or 7!

6. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with?

It must be very fascinating to share a stage, or just do a collaboration with Jordi Savall. He is a Spanish composer with a huge repertoire in traditional music. It's amazing how he can translate the feeling of a culture or people into the music. The record "Esprit d' Arménie" contains some of the best music of my entirely music collection.

7. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to?

Of course. Without the internet we wouldn't be where we are now. I think the chance would be very small we had been to Japan, or our music had been released over there. 

8. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like Spotify?

It makes music a lot easier of course. There is a good and bad thing in that. The bad thing is that music gets consumed, without actually doing an effort and trying to understand what the artists want to say with their music. On the other side it's a luxury to have the chance to discover so much music. I'm sure my music taste would be different if the world wide web wouldn’t provide me with all the music available.

9. Where do you see yourselves in 5 years?

I like the way things are going right now. If we have the chance to play a lot of live shows, that's the most important for me. It would be nice to get another opportunity to go to new places, like the times we went to Japan. I'd like to go to China one day.

10. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era?

For us it definitely is. It helps us to tell a story with more then just music. The visual side of music that takes your imagination on a trip is something that's very important. 

11. What is you favorite album cover?

I think Godspeed you! black emperor always has nice artwork. It's also more then just the "packaging" of a record. The artwork goes with the music, they use both to tell their story. For example their record "f# a# infinity" came with extra pictures, some kind of coin, and other weird stuff. It gets you in the right mood to listen to the music.

12. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format?

I like the return of the vinyl, because it forces you to actually take your time to listen to the music. You get the chance to see and feel the artwork, read lyrics... Vinyl is definitely the medium that is able to draw the whole picture of a band. On the other hand, the mp3 format is also very useful... you are not bound to a specific place, the music moves with you. I like that a lot, sometimes I listen to records and I directly get memories of a specific place or time where I first heard that record. That's amazing.

13. What's the most vivid story or moment as a band?

The two times we went on tour in Japan are moments that will last forever. I remember sitting on the plane, and actually asking myself what we were going to do over there. I just couldn't get it that people on the other side of the world were actually wanting us to come over and play. But the whole experience was amazing. We met great people, we discovered a very unique culture, we played good concerts. Until this day I am still very honoured that we had that chance.



The Black Heart Rebellion released one of the best albums on 2015 with their third album "People, When You See The Smoke, Do Not Think It Is Fields They're Burning".

More info:
Official Site
Facebook
Tumblr
Bandcamp

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;