Monday, April 24, 2017

The Inquisition: 086.Féroces

1. How did you come up with the name of the band?

Jérôme: When we decided to start this band, we thought of different options: we wanted a French name, as we only use French movie samples, and didn’t want something too obvious regarding the music we play, so we took almost the opposite. Féroces describes something cruel and savage, and while two of us come from the hardcore scene and love to play wild shows, our music is more about something melodic and sweet.

2. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it?

Sébastien: Usually, Jérôme sends me what he calls a song, i.e. hundreds of themes on the guitar with a sample from a movie. Then, I choose the ones I find most interesting, rearrange them to build the structure of the song, add the synthesizers and basic drum parts, and then send it back to the others. Actually, when we first play a song “for real”, it is already close to the final version, we just rearrange transitions, synth levels, etc.

3. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home?

Sébastien: As a recording studio owner, I listen to (mostly) rock music all day long, so at home I’m more into electronic music. One of the last bands I listened to is Tobacco (maybe you can hear the influence of that band on my Donna remix).
Jérôme: I used to play in Emocore bands like Gantz and Hiro, but I can now say that I listen to a wide range of music from hardcore to electronic ambient music. Regarding my influences, I would have to say Slint, Microfilm, Mogwaï, Interpol, Joy Division, Fugazi and Amanda Woodward.
François: I listen to pretty much all kinds of music just to discover new stuff but I like rhythmical music with drummers playing creative fills (Interpol, Foals). I recently discovered a French band called Totorro and I love their style.

4. Which is the one album you can't live without?

Sébastien: Nine Inch Nails “The Fragile”
Jérôme: Slint “Spiderland”
François: Interpol “Turn On The Bright Lights”

5. What's the first record you've ever bought?

Sébastien: Michael Jackson’s Bad (and I’m not ashamed of it)
Jérôme: Kylie Minogue’s Locomotion (and I’m really proud of it)
François: Bryan Adams’ Waking Up the Neighbours (sorry guys)

6. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with?

Jérôme: I would love to play with Nirvana one day.

7. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to?

Sébastien: Thanks to Youtube, one of our song has been played more than 20,000 times in Greece. It appears that it’s been added to a very popular Greek playlist. I would really like to go play there!
Jérôme: We promote our music by ourselves, and many people help us spread the word, via social networks. In fact, blogs and online communities have made us into what we are today.

8. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like Spotify?

Sébastien: We are on both services, and it’s been very pleasant to see that most of our fans are willing to pay more than what we ask for! But despite thinking that what Spotify and the other streaming platforms give back to the artists is quite ridiculous, we cannot, as a new band, decide that we won’t be available there…

9. Where do you see yourselves in 10 years?

Jérôme: Dead and buried
Sébastien: More seriously, if Jérôme starts exercising, we could definitely be playing “Même ça tu n’as pas le courage” :)

10. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era?

Jérôme: Sure, we spend a lot of time talking about the artwork. The harmonization of the music and the image must be coherent.
François: Also, some people like to buy vinyls just to have the artwork in a decent size and they keep listening to the digital albums.

11. What is your favorite album cover?

Jérôme: I would say “Unknown pleasures” by Joy Division, so many people around the world know these mountains, I got them tattooed on the top of my left arm.


François: I find the cover of “Is this It” by The Strokes very pleasant to look at.

12. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format?

Jérôme: Actually, a lot of people listen to random music, in random mode, during their random lives, and I’m one random guy living in a random world. When you choose vinyl, you decide, you take the power back.
Sébastien: The process of listening to music is different depending on the media. I think listening to a vinyl is a more conscious action because you will most likely listen to the whole album, and not just a single that is part of a compilation. The object itself is also very different, and needs care. And there is a huge difference in terms of sound, the vinyl is always less compressed, subtler, more musical than CDs and other digital formats.

13. What's the most vivid story or moment as a band?

Jérôme: Each live show is special, sometimes I can forget where I am, who I am, what I do and forget. Only music and love can do this to me, this sensation is a drug and I would like to feel it every day.

More info:
Official Site
facebook
twitter
instagram
bandcamp

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;