Thursday, March 06, 2014

The Inquisition: 001.Colaris

"The Inquisition" is a new section on the blog, the idea of which, was conceived with the help of Colaris. It will consist of the same 11 questions (plus 1-2 more in some cases) for all bands that will take part in this. Enjoy!



01. How did you came up with the name of the band?

Just a random evening in our favorite pub drinking some beers together. After a while we came up with the idea to have a name, that will have 2 sides in it. Like good & evil, cold & hot or yin & yang. Because that`s the essence of everything in life. So we took COLARIS. It`s just a fantasy word that describes both in it, for us.

02. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it?

For our previous records we used to jam a lot. Most of the time I brought some basic ideas of guitar riffs, and then we worked it out together. The current song ideas for the upcoming record, I mostly write at home. Then we record them in our rehearselroom and listen to them back and forth. Maybe that’s related to our newer stuff. The song structures are way more complex. Less soundscapes and  no typical loud/quiet dynamics where you can jam with. 

03. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home?

I find a lot of creativity and influences for  my songwriting besides of music. That starts with: Mankinds nowadays way of living and there behaviors, traveling, nature, movies and of course all the good and bad times in life.
When it comes to music: I listen to almost every genre of music meanwhile. It just depends on my mood.
Currently I listen to a lot of 90`s grunge bands like Alice in chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, or 70`s Psychedelic Rock. I`m totally psyched on “lonerism” and "Innerspeaker" from Tame Impala (Australia). Hands down, one of the best bands I`ve discovered over the last years.

04. What’s the first record you've ever bought ?

Hard question! On CD it must be “Master of Puppets” from Metallica. We used to copy and trade Tapes as much as we can, back in the days. I owned just a cople of original LP`s and CD`s when i was younger. 

05. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with ?

Maybe a Scandinavian tour with Sólstafir. Such a lovely band and nice dudes. Glad they finally get the response they deserve, all over the world. "Köld" will always be one of my favorite records of all time.

06. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to?

Sure, it helps us a lot spreading our music around the globe. We receive messages from Indonesia, America, Australia, and whole Europe. And we are really grateful for that, because that’s why we make music. And it keep pushing us forward.

07. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like spotify?

I love bandcamp. Most of the bands I listen to, put their whole albums up. And I like the “name your price” option, because I will buy the physical copy anyway, if i like it. So I got the opportunity to listen to it first. And i don`t need to buy it on the release date, or rip it from the internet or youtube.

08. Where do you see yourselves in 5 years?

Hopefully still writing music and playing concerts together. If not,  being involved in new bands and projects. There is no certain kind of achievement or goals, that i am looking for. I`ll just  keep pushing me forward in my songwriting and band work. "Always stay gold" !!! :)

09. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era?

For me, album artworks will always be important. The visual side of an record takes me to the right place to listen to it. For example, when I was younger I used to draw all my favorite covers on everything I could find. 

10. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format?

To be honest, in the last couple of years, music & collecting lost a lot of his magic. People ripping cd`s or download it from the internet, or trade there whole hard drives to exchange their music. I don`t want to know how much good bands and albums end up unheard in the depths of everyone’s computer, while labels and bands from everywhere around the world struggling to get there music released.
I can only speak for myself, that I love collecting music and especially vinyl. It has got some certain kind of feeling, having a big gatefold artwork and a heavy 180gramm LP in your hands, putting the needle on and listen to it carefully. No song skipping or mp3 folders to seek through. Don`t get me wrong: I have a lot of MP3`s as well. And I appreciate to have them all with me on my MP3 player, everywhere i go. I would say: I`ve found a good balance that worked out for me between vinyl and MP3.

11. What's the funniest story or moment as a band?

I could write down a whole book. “The never ending story” part 4 till 666.
There are so many unforgetable funny moments. That’s one part of being musician and playing music in a touring band, that I will always love and appreciate. Hard to name one special. I should go for the book, before i get old and start to forget them all.

Colaris will tour in Europe on March. If they play in a place near you, be sure to check them out!

20.03.2014 - Chodov (CZ) / Restauraze Oáza
21.03.2014 - Berlin (DE) / Tiefgrund
22.03.2014 - Kiel (DE) / Alte Meierei (Spiral of Noise Fest)
23.03.2014 - Copenhagen (DK) / Kraftwerket
24.03.2014 - Bremen (DE) / Römer
25.03.2014 - Hannover (DE) / Cafe Glocksee
26.03.2014 - Bonn (DE) / BLA
27.03.2014 - Antwerpen (BE) / Music City
28.03.2014 - Amsterdam (NL) / The Cave
29.03.2014 - Schoonhoven (NL) / Bastille

More info and merch:

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;